Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Russia ~ Beetroot Celery Salad

Grated Beetroot and Celery Salad

Beetroot really is a tasty vegetable. I hope that after reading my post Beet Root, Are you Scared? that you will have a new respect for this often misunderstood and possibly feared veggie. 
My camera was about out of batteries when I decided to take a picture of it, bathed in the glow of the dinning room energy saving light bulb. This was the best shot, and it tastes far better then my shabby picture of it hints to. 
I seem to be getting closer and closer to the food when I am taking pictures here lately. Two reasons, I am tired of looking at the same tired plates in every shot, and I am trying to be more artistic. So if you have never been that up close and personal into your food like that, well here it is in all its Beety Goodness!
My youngest son, at this point in time, has taken a strong interest in cooking. You might notice that as well if you spend a good deal of time in the kitchen cooking. Kids seem to flock to the kitchen, it is where all the good stuff to eat comes from, it is a great place to learn, teach and share, and there are tons of shiny objects!
I have to admit that there was a time when the kitchen was off limits to my kids. I was so tired from working all day that really I just wanted to get in and get out and not spend any more time then I had to. Those were the days of pre packaged food, frozen meals or quick just add meat and water dinners. Who hasn't been there at some point in their lives right? Heck, some of my readers may still be doing that right now, and for all of you that are, I will say, quick food may be good in a pinch, but using fresh ingredients is so much better for all involved. 
So back to my youngest son. 
He is a teenager now, and he loves helping me cook. (I love it, I think it is awesome, and it really helps to have a helper when I am multitasking.)
In many cultures, the daughters or other female members of the household are the ones that do the cooking. They learn the recipes from their mothers and grandmothers but men are just as capable in the kitchen as the women folk so regardless of if you have girls or boys, let them help. Kids that help prepare the food are more willing to give it a try :)
The recipe came from "Russian, German & Polish food & cooking" by Lesley Chamberlain

*Beetroots   *Celery   *Apple Juice   *Fresh/dried herbs   *Olive oil   *Cider Vinegar   *Parsley   *spring onions

Recipe
1 lb uncooked beetroot, peeled and grated
4 celery sticks, chopped finely
2 tbsp apple juice
fresh or dried herbs as a garnish

Dressing
3 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp cider vinegar
4 spring onions, finely sliced
2 tbsp chopped parsley

Process
1) toss the beetroot, celery and apple juice together in a bowl to mix. (or just stir it up :)
2) put all the ingredients for the dressing in a small bowl and whisk with a fork until well blended then stir that into the beetroot mixture.
3) drizzle the remaining dressing over the top and allow the salad to marinate for at least 2 hours vefore serving for fullest flavor

What I did differently
It called for sunflower oil, not sure how spendy that is, i use olive oil for everything. spring onions, I never knew they were called spring onions, I always called them little green onions, it worked, don't judge me :\ 

My families reaction
My youngest loved it, because he helped make it he was obligated to enjoy it regardless simply because he had no one to blame if it was not good so of course he really liked it.  No really it was good! It was like a coleslaw but without the cabbage, carrots and everything else,...? It was crunchy, the beets made it slightly sweet even and it went great with dinner. You could use it as a side for lunch or dinner, we ended up doing just that. Light and guilt free. I like that :)

No comments:

Post a Comment