Thursday, September 29, 2011

Beetroot ~ Are you Scared?

Do You Fear the Beet?
How many of you eat Beetroot? Go on I will wait while you either count on one hand the number of dishes that you prepare each month using Beets or search through your childhood memories to try and bring up what it even tastes like. Oh don't worry, I am not about to say anything as I honestly don't remember using it in many dishes myself. I think in a way I feared it. Sure it is one thing in a can, already peeled, sitting in its own processed juices surrounded by metal and placed on a shelf for far longer then is natural for any fruit or vegetable. Even then, in a setting that is familiar, especially for Americans who enjoy the ease and convenience of prepackaged food products, the beet rarely made it onto my monthly meal planner. My childhood memories were of these red vegetables being dumped into a pot, heated and served with whatever protein my mom cooked that night. 


I have noticed however that this vegetable comes up often when you cook from other countries and cultures. I have learned not to fear it, in fact I have grown rather fond of how it tastes. 

Did you know that the BeetRoot has many beneficial effects to your health?
Oh yes,  Beetroots reduce blood pressure. You can find tons of articles all over the web about the many benefits of this vegetable for your body.

So what are some of the reasons you don't eat more BeetRoot?

Is it because peeling and cutting them makes your kitchen look like a murder scene? Because the juice of the beet so closely resembles the color of human blood, it has a long history of being thought beneficial to matters of the heart <3
 
 Try using Beet Root this coming halloween, with the deep red color and gruesome looking juice, it can add a touch of the macabre to any dish!
 Peel with a potato peeler to reveal a gorgeous red vegetable underneath. I will be putting up some great recipes that use it and I hope that you can come to enjoy the taste.
Just remember not to panic when you use the restroom. The color does not get broken down by our bodies and can temporarily effect things by darkening or creating a reddish tint.


No comments:

Post a Comment