Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Russia ~ Pampushki ~ Dinner

Pampushki
Why Danielle, why is that lonely looking dumpling just sitting right there without a plate or any pretty surroundings? Ha! Funny story about that!
Have you ever had one of those days that you spend all day in the kitchen, slave over a hot stove (come on that really is a great saying) and by the time everything is done and everyone is getting ready to eat you want nothing to do with the food and storm off in an emotional upheaval? Just me? OK. Well that is what happened, so therefore I did not serve dinner and take photos that looked really nice rather I got the leftovers from the fridge the next day and that was that. See I told you it was a funny story (bwahahaha)

So what is a Pampushki aside from an amazingly fun word to say over and over again?
Well it is a crunchy Russian potato dumpling with filling inside of course!
And how do you make said crunchy Russian potato dumpling with filling inside? Well lets talk about that!
Without getting too fatalistic on anyone, I hope that these are easier for all of you then they were for me. These things just may have been the fuel that brought on aforementioned emotional upheaval. Don't let this sway you from attempting it for yourself, you shall never know until you do :)
The recipe was found in "Russian, German & Polish food & cooking" by Lesley Chamberlain

*Potatoes   *Salt   *Ricotta cheese   *Chives   *Oil 

Recipe

1 1/2 pounds of peeled potatoes cut into large chunks
2 3/4 cups cooked and mashed potatoes
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup ricotta cheese
2 tbsp snipped fresh chives
Oil for frying

Procedure
1) Coarsely grate the raw potatoes and squeeze out as much water as possible. Put them in a bowl with the mashed potato and salt, mix together. In another bowl, mix the cheese and chives together.
2) Using a spoon and your fingers, scoop up a portion of the potato mixture, slightly smaller than an egg, and then flatten to a circle. 
3) Put about 1 tsp of the cheese filling into the middle and fold over the edges pinching to seal. Repeat with remaining potato and cheese mixture, to make about 12 dumplings. 
4) Heat the oil to about 340 degrees. Deep fry the dumplings for 10 minutes, or until deep brown and crisp. Drain on paper towel and serve hot. 

(Pampushki are traditionally cooked in stock or water and served with soup, if you want to poach them, add 1 tbsp flour and 1 beaten egg to mixture and poach the dumplings for 20 minutes)

What I did differently
To try and shave off some time in the kitchen, I used instant potato mix for my mashed potatoes. Further proof that processed food just is not as good as the original. I had small bits of my dumplings falling off the entire time they were frying. A few actually disintegrated right there in the oil!! I was so frustrated! Also, I might add, don't get your oil hot and then think you can turn it down a bit because trust me! If your oil is not nice and hot, your dumplings will just fall apart!
I think I felt like banging my head against the refrigerator door more times then I would like to mention on this one.

My families reaction
They were good, the ones that turned out that is. The kids really enjoyed the filling and it was a great addition to any dinner. If you are thinking about storing these bad boys in the fridge after dinner to enjoy at another time, don't. These things, while delicious fresh and hot, are pretty dang nasty cold or reheated in the microwave.

No comments:

Post a Comment